Village Basic History
Wield means “open upland country”, and the first human settlement dates back to Roman times. Gradually a farming (mainly sheep) community formed, and by Tudor times the village had become prosperous. Queen Elizabeth visited Wield in 1591. Contact with the outside world remained limited right up until WW1, with electricity not available until mid 1930, a peaceful and essentially rural life prevailing. Today, gas and mains drainage have still to arrive but fibre cable for broadband has at last reached the village.
Wield is 150m above sea level, in the heart of the Hampshire uplands. The population of Wield (Upper & Lower) is approximately 60 children and 180 adults: there are 100 Houses. Wield is still an agricultural community with a variety of family farms and a winery, although few villagers are now actively involved in farming, instead happily retired or busy commuting daily to work. There is also a light industries site at Barton Farm just outside Wield on the way to Alresford. Lower Wield has a pub (The Yew Tree), Upper Wield the Church (St James) and the village hall. The green spaces in Upper Wield belong to the village as does the Village Hall.